Will Your Fence Survive the Upcoming Hurricane Season and Winter?
Learn How to Weather Proof Your Fence
While you wrap up a warm, activity-filled summer, welcome a new school year, and plan for the upcoming fall festivities, you may also have to deal with some unwanted guests who pay a visit around this time of the year. Ms. Torrential Rain, Mrs. Gusty Winds and Mr. Destructive Storms are quite likely to come knocking at your doors and windows in the months ahead! Soon after that, you will have to endure the long winter months and snow storms that come with it.
Hurricane season peaks just after summer, making almost the entire east coast of the U.S. vulnerable to the damage and destruction that comes with this powerful natural occurrence. In the wake of this potential threat, it is imperative to take precautionary measures and secure your home and family’s safety. If you hear a weather warning and are on the verge of experiencing a hurricane, remember to:
- Move lightweight objects, such as garbage bins, potted plants, and other patio décor items into a safe place. You may consider placing them in your garage or basement.
- Secure your outdoor furniture and other heavy items that cannot be moved indoors.
- Trim the trees in your yard and notify your neighbors in case you see that trees in their yards also need attention.
- Lock down your gates tightly and secure them with padlocks or chains so that the strong winds do not blow off their hinges.
- Take a good look at your fence to check for any cracks or loose or dislodged pieces that need to be repaired.
There are several ways to fortify your fence and make it resistant to the force of Mother Nature. Read on for useful advice on ways to ensure that your home’s enclosure stands upright and endures all types of weather conditions.
Top Tips to Reinforce and Maintain Your Fence
Over the years, your fence is subject to severe hurricanes and winter storms that are bound to take a toll on its quality and durability. Here are some ways to strengthen and maintain your home’s barriers:
- Waterproof the Fence: Avoid any warping or rotting of your fence by waterproofing it. Pressure wash the surface to get rid of dirt or debris, and simply apply a single coat of a wood sealant. This process will allow your fence to withstand rain, snow, floods and icy conditions for years to come.
- Stain the Fence: Give your home’s enclosure a fresh lease of life by painting it with a stain. If you need to apply two coats for a darker shade, make sure that the surface is completely dry before starting the second application.
- Strengthen the Posts: Strong winds can wreck complete havoc even for the heaviest of objects. Stabilize your fence at the time of installation. Pour concrete into the holes that you dig and let the posts be set in the wet mixture. Once the concrete dries, not only will your fence be highly secure, but it will also be immune to rotting that occurs due to excessive rains and flooding.
Need a New Fence before the Hurricane Season? Call Deer Fencers
For professional fence installation and maintenance, rely on the experts at Deer Fencers. From vinyl, aluminum and wood fences, to deer fencing, pool fencing and pet fencing, we specialize in a variety of fencing solutions that suit every need and budget. Our friendly team will guide you in making the right choice for all your fencing requirements.
Call us at (800)753-4600 today or contact us using our online form.