What Type of Fencing Should I Use?
A Helpful Guide about Vinyl, Aluminum, Wood and Other Materials
If you’re in the market for a new fence, there are a lot of factors you need to take into consideration before making your final choice. After all, the fencing system that you choose will ultimately impact the value of your entire property. As a result, it is understandable why going through the selection process can be an intimidating experience for some homeowners, especially if you are unfamiliar with the fencing materials that are available to choose from. Let our fencing experts take you through the pros and cons of vinyl, aluminum, wood and other fencing material options so you can successfully determine the right one for your home.
The Pros and Cons of Different Fencing Materials
One of the most challenging decisions to make when it comes to fencing installation is choosing the right type of material for your home. Read on to learn more about 3 of the most popular types of fencing materials:
Vinyl – Pros
- When it comes to vinyl fencing, the price is largely controlled and not as susceptible to the same market fluctuations as some other materials since it is a manufactured material.
- Vinyl is one of the most durable materials and extremely low-maintenance in nature. It can be much easier to clean than other materials such as wood.
- This type of fencing comes in many different styles and does not attract bugs, making it the perfect solution for homeowners who want something that looks beautiful and is simple to take care of.
Vinyl – Cons
- The material is a little more expensive than others; however it is generally a one-time investment since its manufacturing method allows for less upkeep.
- Vinyl is not as durable or flexible as other types of materials like wood and may be prone to damage if directly impacted. The material can also become brittle if faced with harsh winter conditions. Additionally, the plastic used in the manufacturing of vinyl fencing is not the most environmentally friendly.
Aluminum – Pros
- If your goal is to build a stylish and attractive fencing option, aluminum is the right material for your fencing system. These fences are great around pools and for preventing your children and pets from roaming free.
- Despite its attractive appearance, the material cost of aluminum is slightly less than that of vinyl fencing.
- Aluminum is highly durable and resistant to bugs and corrosion. It is a lightweight material that is easy to install and repair. If the aluminum gets dirty over time, all you need to do is clean it with running water from your garden hose.
Aluminum – Cons
- While durable, aluminum is also prone to bending and any major contact can leave behind significant marks. Even strong winds from a storm can alter the structure of an aluminum fence.
- If you don’t live in a secluded area and are worried about privacy, aluminum won’t shield you from your nosy neighbours.
Wood – Pros
- This is a classic and iconic fencing material. The natural beauty suits almost any kind of landscape since there are several different styles and shapes of wood fencing available. The wood can even be painted to suit your vision.
- Pressure-treated wood is extremely long lasting, so much so that it can outlast the longevity of other types of materials.
- In comparison to other materials, wood fencing is rather inexpensive and can be built for less than almost any other fencing material, including the costs of all the raw materials that are needed to properly construct the fence.
Wood – Cons
- One of the main problems with wood fencing is that it is also attractive to little critters. Pests love the smell and taste of wood which can ultimately reduce the lifespan of your investment. Therefore, it is important to treat your fence with an insecticide if you experience an infestation.
- The cost of maintenance including time and money can be higher than average.
h2>Find a Suitable Fencing System for Your Home at Deer Fencers
While vinyl, aluminum and wood may be some of the most popular types of fencing materials on the market, that doesn’t mean you are only limited to these options. If you are still uncertain about which fencing material is right for you, the professionals at Deer Fencers are here to help you make the most informed decision possible. We believe that the best decision is to select the type of material that fulfils your style, price and maintenance requirements. By sticking to these 3 criteria, the rest should fall right into place. Once you have successfully chosen your materials, we can install your fence quickly and efficiently. We can also design a fence maintenance program that suits your specific budget and lifestyle to help you with upkeep and to ensure that you are getting the most out of your new system.