The Pros and Cons of Wood Fences
A Helpful Guide from the Trusted Fencing Experts at Deer Fencers
Are you planning to install a new wood fence around your property? If you want to make sure that you are making the right decision, it’s important to consider the pros and cons of this highly popular fencing material. Fortunately, the fencing experts at Deer Fencers are here to help you with your homework so you can be sure that you are selecting a material that is suitable for your lifestyle needs.
While wood fencing is often considered as being the standard of a typical North American home, it does come with its unique qualities. Below, we examine the pros and cons of wood fencing to ensure you make the best decision for your home.
Wood Fencing Pros and Cons
Wood fencing is available in many styles and in a wide range of price points, making it an ideal choice for the majority of homeowners. While it is known for being an aesthetically pleasing material, wood requires a higher degree of care and maintenance to prolong its longevity. Read on to take a closer look at the pros and cons of wood fencing:
- Attractive: The natural look of wood is incredibly appealing to most homeowners and is very complimentary to surrounding foliage. Wood fencing also comes in a number of different styles like split rail or picket and can be painted in any color you wish.
- Budget-Friendly: Wood fencing can be relatively inexpensive compared to other fencing materials like vinyl or metal. Over time, a wood fence may need to undergo repairs or replacements and fortunately, this can be done easily, quickly and affordably by using tools and supplies many homeowners already own.
- Offers Privacy: One of the biggest benefits of wood fencing is the amount of privacy it offers. While a chain link fence might be cheaper than a wooden one, it doesn’t provide the same level of privacy that wood does. Wood fencing also blends seamlessly into the environment which creates a more pleasing look while also making sure people and pets are where they belong.
- Requires Regular Maintenance: Wood can be a temperamental material, meaning it warps easily and therefore, requires a higher level of maintenance in order to keep it looking like new. Installing a wooden fence also calls for a variety of skill and equipment in order to ensure it is done properly.
- Unpredictable: Depending on the quality of the material, wood fences can last up to 20 years with regular maintenance. However, wood is highly sensitive to temperature and drastic changes in the environment can cause the material to expand and contract, decreasing its durability over time. Additionally, wood is susceptible to moisture and damage by insects which creates the perfect breeding ground for rot.
- Repairs Take More Effort: Wood fences need periodic staining in order to maintain a fresh appearance, as well as providing a protective coating.Unlike a chain link fence for example, wood is also a lot more challenging to repair, as whole panels will likely need replacing to keep it from falling apart.
Contact Deer Fencers to Explore Your Fencing Material Options
Ultimately, whether you decide to construct your fence from wood or another type of material, it is important to work with a reputable fencing company that can help you professionally install your fence and also ensure you get a fair price for the job. At Deer Fencers, our technicians can talk to you about your fencing needs and answer any questions you may have about our products and services. If a wood fence is what you seek, we can design the ultimate enclosure that encompasses everything you want and need. To complete your system, we also offer custom gate additions and accessories. No matter what, our goal is to make sure you find a fencing solution that is not only functional but is also a reflection of your personal style.
If you are considering a wooden style fence to enclose your property, reach out to the fencing experts at Deer Fencers. We can help you find the best fencing option to suit your needs. Call us at (800)753-4600 or contact us using our online form.