Should You Install a Fence or Plant a Tree Line?
How to Make the Right Decision for Your Property
If you have recently purchased a new home or want to make some upgrades to your existing outdoor living space, installing a fence is a good place to start. However, a traditional fencing system is no longer your only option when it’s time for you to build a privacy barrier. Rather, it is the perfect opportunity to opt for a more natural look by planting a tree line or in other words, a living wall. If you are currently considering your fencing options, we can help you explore the benefits of each solution so you can make the right decision for your home.
A Fence vs. Tree Line
When it comes to fencing, neither option is necessarily better than the other. In fact, you may even consider designing a fencing system that incorporates both traditional and natural materials. What it really comes down to is your personal taste, circumstances and specific requirements. Determine the most suitable solution for your lifestyle by learning about the different advantages of a tree line and a fence, below:
- Appearance: While fences have a less natural appearance than a tree line, you may want to choose treated wood for the best of both worlds. The wood can either be stained or left in its natural colour and will usually blend in with its surroundings better than a fence made from another type of material. However, depending on the plant species used, trees and shrubs like evergreens, can also provide you with a natural, year-round privacy screen.
- Suitability: If you have a small outdoor living space, constructing a fence may be your best option as there is likely to be little room between you and your neighbours. Conversely, if you live on a larger property, a tree line or combination of both might be the better solution from a cost perspective.
- Privacy: If you want immediate privacy, a fence is the way to go. If you don’t mind waiting a little longer for your privacy screen to grow in, planting trees or a hedge will be an equally effective barrier. Additionally, if blocking noise is also high on your list of priorities, using trees rather than a fence may be more effective at blocking out noise pollution from outside your property.
- Weather: If you live in an area that experiences strong and frequent winds, you want to choose a fence that is not completely solid but that has big enough gaps for the wind to pass through, so that it does not get knocked down. If you decide to plant trees, they will naturally perform this function and also offer the added bonus of providing shady areas during the hotter months.
- Wildlife: If you prefer not to share your yard with the local wildlife, a traditional fence will provide a stronger barrier against animals. This is especially useful if you have pets that will frequently run around the yard. However, if you want to encourage and provide shelter to animals, a tree-line may be right for your home. Certain trees and plants can also be a good source of vegetation for these animals.
- Maintenance: Before you decide on a fencing system, you need to consider how much maintenance you are willing to oversee. Depending on the type of material your fence is made out of, it may require little to no maintenance, or the occasional reseal every few years. On the other hand, trees and plants will require more attention through regular watering, trimming and fertilizing.
- Installation: No matter what type of fencing option you choose to install, always call the fencing experts. In both cases, a lot of digging will be required, which can be handled quickly and efficiently by using professional equipment and following the right techniques for safety and durability.
Find Quality Fencing Solutions at Deer Fencers
Deer Fencers is more than a deer fence installation company. For many years, we have provided our clients with fencing solutions that are not only practical and effective against deer and other wildlife but which also enhance your home’s curb appeal.
We understand that traditional fencing options may not be suitable for every client. That’s why we have developed an integrated program that incorporates multiple strategies to protect your existing landscape from damage. Our fencing experts can create a custom design that meets your individual criteria and budget. In addition to providing high-quality fencing design, installation and maintenance services, we are also extremely passionate about protecting the natural environment and doing our part to restore the eco-system.
To get a quote, call the team at Deer Fencers today. You can reach us at (800)753-4600 or contact us using our online form.